Improve your English for IELTS, Speaking, Writing, Reading, and Listening with our helpful content. Our process is to help you understand the meaning of words, their similar words (synonyms), and their opposite words (antonyms).
We have also added example sentences, examples of incorrect sentences, and an example paragraph or passage to make the meaning of these words easy to understand. You can use these to generally improve your English or for specific English language tests such as SAT, IELTS, O/A Levels English.
If you want to request content similar to this, please let us know in the comments below.
Meaning: When someone shares the same idea, opinion, and suggestion with you.
- Consent (to)
- I agreed to the terms of employment and responsibilities of my new job.
- My boss did not agree on opening a daycare center in the office.
Selena belongs to a very poor family. She hardly has any money to provide food and good education for her kids. Thus, we all friends agreed to help her financially.
- Her parents agreed my marriage proposal. (Correct word: accepted)
- I have hit her and I agree my mistake. (Correct word: admit)
Meaning: To help or give support to someone
- I assist my mother in daily household chores.
- My manager assisted all the new hires to understand their job tasks.
It was my first time participating in a speech competition. I was feeling very nervous about my performance. Hence, my teacher assisted me in preparing my speech.
- He assisted in raising a huge amount of money. (Correct word: helped)
- The government assisted the flood victims by setting up relief camps. (Correct word: facilitated)
Meaning: To go to an event, meeting, or function or listen attentively.
- Show up
- Appear (at)
- All my close friends attended my wedding ceremony.
- My husband does not attend to my financial needs.
Since you are a new employee in our company, thus you require training to get started. You must attend all the meetings to learn everything about your job role and work requirements.
- I appeared the musical concert yesterday. (Correct word: attended)
- A senior doctor visited the COVID-19 patient. (Correct word: attended)
Meaning: To openly talk about something in detail with another person or group.
- Give in
- After a deep discussion with the doctor about my mother’s health condition, I admitted her to the hospital.
- Yesterday, the topic of discussion in the classroom was global inflation.
I was going through a very hard time in my life. My husband lost his job and we were in a financial crisis. But after a deep discussion with the bank manager about loans, I felt relieved.
- The teacher asked us to watch the presidential discussion as an assignment. (Correct word: debates)
- Peaceful countries prefer discussion over wars to resolve conflicts. (Correct word: dialogue)
Meaning: To get in touch or communicate with someone to give or receive information.
- The manager will contact all the shortlisted candidates tomorrow.
- For further information, you must contact their official website.
Peter is a good friend of mine but his bad habits irritate me a lot. This time he stole all my money and was not sorry about it. Hence, we have decided to break the friendship and never contact each other in the future.
- Do you have internet contact? (Correct word: connection)
- My assistant contacted my manager. (Correct word: communicated)
Meaning: The act of doing a task successfully
- She was awarded an Oscar for her great performance in the film.
- He was fired from the company due to his bad job performance.
My kid has been doing very well in academics. He has been securing the first position in the class since last year. Hence, the principal has promoted him to the next class due to his good performance.
- We failed to achieve our goal because there was a problem in the performance of the plan. (Correct word: execution)
- Due to his bad performance with other employees, he was fired. (Correct word: conduct)
Meaning: To work with someone to meet a goal.
- Coordinate with my assistant, he’ll let you know about my meeting schedule.
- I was coordinating with my manager for this advertising campaign.
The company has not been performing well. There is no communication and goal clarity among the employees. Hence, the workers should coordinate with each other for better results.
- My boss asked me to communicate with the sales department for this project. (Correct word: coordinate)
- The driver was talking with the rider to reach the pickup location. (Correct word: coordinating)
Meaning: To decide or plan an event or activity at a particular time.
- My assistant will schedule a meeting with you in the next slot.
- The doctor has scheduled the next appointment in the coming week.
We are planning to hire a designer and a writer for our company. We need creative and talented people for this position. Hence, I have scheduled interviews with two candidates for this job role.
- We have scheduled a birthday party for you. (Correct word: arranged)
- My mother has scheduled a surprise for her little daughter. (Correct word: planned)
Meaning: To get new people to join the company or a group
- My company is recruiting fresh graduates for training programs.
- The army was recruiting more minorities into the forces.
Our company is full of lazy and irresponsible workers. Due to poor management, they have been unable to meet their goals. Hence, we want to recruit fresh employees to improve the company’s work productivity.
- Two new students have been recruited in the semester. (Correct word: enrolled)
- I was recruited as a manager in the company. (Correct word: hired)
Meaning: An official set of legal documents that provides information
- He couldn’t win the case in court because he didn’t have original property documentation.
- The college administration asked me to bring supporting documentation for admission.
My husband took away all the property from me illegally. Unfortunately, I could not prove my possession in court because I had misplaced my legal documentation.
- The hiring manager issued official documentation about my retirement from the company. (Correct word: statement)
- We need you to bring your documentation of residence to court. (Correct word: proof )