Improve your English for IELTS, Speaking, Writing, Reading, and Listening with our helpful content. Our process is to help you understand the meaning of words, their similar words (synonyms), and their opposite words (antonyms).
We have also added example sentences, examples of incorrect sentences, and an example paragraph or passage to make the meaning of these words easy to understand. You can use these to generally improve your English or for specific English language tests such as SAT, IELTS, O/A Levels English.
If you want to request content similar to this, please let us know in the comments below.
Meaning: Of, or related to fox
- Carl’s vulpine smile terrified Jenny.
- He will surely win the game with his vulpine strategy.
I could not comprehend the vulpine intent of a caller and got scammed. However, I learned a lesson about not sharing personal information over the phone.
- Children love her due to her vulpine nature. (correct word: soft, kind)
- Even the smartest students can make vulpine mistakes. (correct word: silly)
Meaning: Donkey-like, devoid of intelligence
- Extremely stupid
- Today’s politics are the most asinine I have ever seen in the country.
- You should keep quiet instead of making asinine remarks.
I wonder how politicians can confidently make asinine remarks on television and social media platforms. They should be careful with their words to avoid extreme backlash later on
- It would be asinine to save some money. (correct word: prudent)
- An asinine person will never swim during a hurricane. (correct word: wise)
Meaning: Containing animal fat
- Fat-containing tissues in our body are called adipose tissues.
- Our body becomes less adipose when we lose weight.
Adipose tissues are spread throughout your body. They can be present under your skin, between your organs, or inside the bone cavities.
- Vegetarians only eat food prepared in adipose oils. (correct word: plant fat)
- Avocados are rich in adipose fats. (correct word: plant fats)
Meaning: Resembling or related to a lion
- He is well-groomed now but used to be leonine and shabby.
- The leonine roar of my boss intimidated everyone in the office.
People turned around when a big man with leonine hair entered the hall. However, he was quite shy and polite, despite his bold appearance.
- A leonine man dies a thousand times before his death. (correct word: coward)
- Kate, being a leonine woman, kept her office neat and tidy. (correct word: well-groomed)
Meaning: a refuge where predation and hunting are not allowed, and one is safe from danger.
- The government provided sanctuary to 6000 refugees last year.
- My husband and I run a sanctuary where we treat injured animals.
Due to illegal hunting, many lakes and wetlands in South Asia have been declared wildlife sanctuaries. Last year, 500 baboons were rescued by their workers.
- A high-speed motorway through a forest is a sanctuary for crossing animals. (correct word: danger)
- Animals are petrified in a sanctuary. (correct word: peril)
Meaning: An outbreak of a disease affecting a large number of an animal population temporarily.
- Non Contagious
- Avian influenza is one of the most deadly epizootic diseases in history.
- The government is taking counteractive measures to deal with this epizootic event.
Epizootic events lead to serious economic losses in the country. The international trade of animal products is halted. Moreover, public health concerns negatively impact the daily life activities of human beings.
- An epizootic illness has infected many cats and dogs in my city. (correct word: interspecies)
- Any epizootic occurrence can be easily controlled. (correct word: non-contagious)
Meaning: An animal that is between one and two years old.
- I bought two yearling calves yesterday.
- Bella, the stable’s eldest mare, has birthed 4 horses, one of which is still a yearling.
She lost her mother when she was a yearling, and her father died when she was 6 years old. That’s why she lives with her aunt.
- Only seven yearlings passed the 6th standard with A-grade (correct word: students)
- I am celebrating the 4th birthday of my yearling pooch. (correct word: Adult)
Meaning: An undesirable or troublesome wild animal
- Gentle creature
- Meek animal
- Well-behaved creature
- The varmint has destroyed the crops.
- He has taken revenge on the varmint who killed his father.
Every year, a significant amount of crops is lost due to varmints infesting them. Governments should take immediate action to protect the yields of the agricultural sector.
- A varmint driver took the injured person to the hospital. (correct word: caring)
- My dog is a varmint as he never harmed anyone. (correct word: gentle creature)
Meaning: food for animals and livestock
- The provender prices for cattle are too high for poor farmers.
- Allen was ordered to give plenty of provender to the horses.
Winter is really a harsh season for wild animals as they have to seek provender beneath the snow. Moreover, they cannot wear warm apparel like humans to protect themselves from strong winds.
- The thief has to provender as police have surrounded him. (correct word: surrender)
- You should keep your medical provender within your reach. (correct word: supplies)
Meaning: An animal or person who eats both plants and animals.
- My father always consumes vegetables and he would never become an omnivore.
- Don’t say no to any food because you are an omnivore.
Human beings are true omnivores. We eat plants in the form of vegetables and animals in the form of meat or animal products, such as milk and eggs.
- An omnivore only consumes plant-based food. (correct word: vegetarian)
- An omnivore takes longer to order food at the restaurant. (correct word: picky-eater)