Improve your English for IELTS, Speaking, Writing, Reading, and Listening with our helpful content. Our process is to help you understand the meaning of words, their similar words (synonyms), and their opposite words (antonyms).
We have also added example sentences, examples of incorrect sentences, and an example paragraph or passage to make the meaning of these words easy to understand. You can use these to generally improve your English or for specific English language tests such as SAT, IELTS, O/A Levels English.
If you want to request content similar to this, please let us know in the comments below.
Meaning: A person with the highest rank and authority in an organization like a school.
- Our school principal will retire next year in 2024.
- The principal gave awards to the winners of the speech competition.
Our Science teacher couldn’t continue her job due to some personal reasons. Therefore, last week, the principal of our college assigned a new teacher to our department.
- You should have some principals in life to be successful. (Correct word: principles )
- My father is the principal of our house because he is the only bread earner of our family. (Correct word: boss)
Meaning: To agree to an offer or receive something with approval
- Turn down
- Last month I changed my religion and accepted Christianity.
- The kids disliked their stepmom and never accepted her wholeheartedly.
I love studying science and technology. It has always been my dream to become an engineer. I just wish my admission application would be accepted at Harvard University.
I invited everyone to the party, accept Justin. (Correct word: except )
We accepted the new bride in our house. (Correct word: welcomed)
Meaning: To make sure that a certain thing will happen
- Make sure
- Make certain
- My mother ensured that I wash my hands before every meal.
- I ensured my manager that I have fixed all my mistakes in my work.
We are about to start our road trip from Manchester to London. Our dad has asked everyone to wear seat belts. It will ensure the safety of the driver and the passengers during the journey.
- My mom advised me to ensure my life against accidents. (Correct word: insure )
- Even if you marry a billionaire, it will not ensure you a happy life. (Correct word: guarantee )
Meaning: To have an impact or influence on something
- His mobility was badly affected due to paralysis of his lower limbs.
- Eating fast food on daily basis will negatively affect your health.
I have made up my mind that I will resign from this job. I cannot stand the toxic environment of this office anymore. No one’s opinion will affect my decision.
- This skin laser treatment has no side affects. (Correct word: effects )
- My son was terribly driving the car because he was under the affect of alcohol. (Correct word: Influence )
Meaning: Not moving or standing still in a fixed position
- Our school van crashed into the stationary bikes near the gym.
- My friends and I hopped into the stationary train yesterday.
There was a heavy traffic jam in our street due to the car accident. I was finding it really hard to breathe due to the pollution caused by those stationary cars.
- He stationary talking to me. (Correct word: stopped )
- He was stationary after listening to my miscarriage story. (Correct word: unmoved)
Meaning: To help make something better, improved or perfect
- Go with
- This red clutch is a great complement to my black dress.
- This barbeque sauce does not complement french fries.
It was the annual dinner of my office and I misplaced my necklace. So, I borrowed the necklace from my friend because it was a perfect complement to my outfit.
- Everyone complemented my dressing style at the party. (Correct word: complimented )
- My mom prayed that my interview complements well. (Correct word: goes well)
Meaning: To offer counseling or guidance to someone about something
- My father gave me good advice on how to start a business.
- I know how to handle this situation. I do not need anyone’s advice.
Last week I lost my job and my family was in financial trouble. However, the advice of my elder brother saved us from going into bankruptcy.
- My mother adviced me to stay away from such toxic friends. (Correct word: advised )
- He was hired by the company on my advice. (Correct word: recommendation)
Meaning: To leave your birth or home country permanently to settle or live in another one
- He emigrated to Canada to pursue his studies.
- My friend emigrated to Greece to find better job opportunities.
There is too much poverty and unemployment in our country. The economic situation is becoming worse day by day. Therefore, we decided to emigrate to China for a safer future.
- Only those candidates who can emigrate for this job should apply. (Correct word: relocate)
- We lost a lot of things when we emigrated house. (Correct word: moved)
Meaning: Positioned comparatively at a great distance
- My friend’s school was farther away from my house.
- He could not hear me because he was standing at the farther shore of the lake.
We have been hiking for the past half an hour. We need to slow down to give our exhausted bodies some rest. We cannot go today any farther from here.
- I cannot continue this relationship any farther. (Correct word: further)
- (Correct word: distant)
Meaning: To systematically ask questions to gather information.
- The health inquiry report revealed that he had very high sugar levels.
- The police conducted a further inquiry to find out the actual criminals.
The organization was performing really badly and the business was running at a loss. Our boss asked the inquiry team to get to the depth of it and find out the real reason behind this.
- The teacher asked us to make an inquiry sentence. (Correct word: interrogative)
- The buyers were inquiring the house condition. (Correct word: inspecting)